A novel phenomenon has been molding headlines all over social media, thanks to yoga fanatics for exhibiting a peculiar fitness trend called ALIEN YOGA. Due to the appearance of the stomach, while performing the exercise, it is called so. Traditionally, it is referred to as NAULI. Apparently, the technique dates back to around 5000 years.
Nauli Kriya involves contorting the stomach into a strange pose. Kriya is an action involving a series of postures, breaths, and sounds. The word has been derived from the Sanskrit root kri, which connotes ‘to do’. While the word Nauli is derived from the Sanskrit roots nau, and li, which imply ‘boat’ and ‘to cling onto’, respectively.
According to nauli.org, nauli is a yogic cleansing exercise. The practice involves rolling of abdominal muscles from side to side in a wave-like manner. However, before following the steps of asana, one must first stand with feet hip-width apart. Additionally, knees should be slightly bent and hands should rest on thighs.
The exercise comprises a series of four movements in total:
- Uddiyana Bandha (deep exhalation): abdominal lock achieved by emptying lungs and dragging the abdomen in and up beneath the rib cage
- Madhyana Nauli (central nauli): isolated contraction of the central abdominal muscles
- Vama Nauli (left side nauli): isolated contraction of the left abdominal muscles
- Daksina Nauli (right side nauli): isolated contraction of the right abdominal muscles
Via – asana.ha-tha.ru
Read also- Did You Know About India’s Very Own Bruce Lee? If Not Then Read On!
- People suffering from a hernia, hypertension, heart disease, ulcers, or gastrointestinal ailments should not practice nauli.
- Also, pregnant women must not follow the exercise.
- Performing needs care and caution. A professional yogi must supervise, as it can cause discomfort and minor injuries.
- People can end up hyperventilating, followed by the risk of fainting and falling over.
- Specifically, breathing needs mastering. Due to the fact that inaccurate breathing causes negative pressure changes in the body. Thereafter, affecting blood vessels, as well the brain.
WHY FOLLOW IT?
Indeed, the powerful abdominal workout requires strength and focus. Above all, the holistic benefits offered are rewarding. For example:
- Massages internal organs, particularly, the stomach, liver, spleen, urinary bladder, pancreas, gall bladder, and intestines.
- Promotes and improves digestion.
- Fortifies internal organs by removing toxins.
- Strengthens core, or abdominal area.
- Boosts willpower.
- Maintains emotional stability.
- Corrects hormone imbalances.
The powerful muscular action appears to be startling and strenuous to master, but actually, has a roster of health aids.
Undoubtedly, it is an exceptional way to kick start the morning and give the day a continued boost of fire energy. The benefits are worth the alien-like cringing visuals it offers!
Read also- Follow These YOGA Asanas And Keep Your Back Fit and Fine