Cotton Gin, considered as one of the key inventions of the Industrial Revolution, and the credit goes to the American inventor Eli Whitney. It shaped the economic condition of the Antebellum South and changed the course of the history. It was his invention which turned just cotton to the profitable cotton crop. Whitney got troubled for the design for which he is known. He ran out of his money while fighting to patent the invention in his name. Before he got patent, people copied his new machine of the cotton gin. It was fateful for him, though his life was an inspiration to many. So with this post, let’s know about him.
Life Journey of Eli Whitney
Inventions and Discoveries?
- Cotton Gin
- Promoting Interchangeable parts
December 8, 1765
Place of birth?
Westborough, Massachusetts, British America
January 8, 1825
New Haven, Connecticut, U.S
Short notes about Eli Whitney:
- He was an inventor of cotton gin which was one of the crucial inventions of the Industrial Revolution.
- This invention of his shaped the economy of Antebellum south.
- This invention also increased the value of cotton which made the economic foundation of slavery firm in the United States.
- Whitney is wrongly being credited with the invention of interchangeable parts, all his idea in it was promotion and popularizing it.