A yogi or anyone who practices yoga will tell you how yoga is a ‘wholistic’ system.
You name a health issue and yoga has its solution for you. It combines numerous kriyas or techniques to keep you sound- mentally, physically, as well as spiritually.
One kriya which is rapidly gaining popularity is Jal Neti. It means water nasal cleansing.
Jal neti helps in clearing your sinuses.
The ancient text of Hatha Yoga ‘Pradeepika’ mentions 6 technique to cleanse your body & prepare your body and mind for higher forms of yoga. These are called ‘Shatkarmas’ literally meaning 6 actions.
When done regularly & in a correct manner, Jal neti provides a lot of benefits. And the best part is that it only takes a few minutes of your time to reap the numerous rewards.
How to perform Jal Neti?
- You don’t need any fancy types of equipment to perform Jal Neti.
- All you need is water, some salt, and a Jal neti pot.The Pot is a small vessel with a pout.
- It can be anything like copper, steel, ceramic or even plastic. You can find them easily at any health store.
Read Also – Attention! We Have Decoded The Best Way To Drink Water For You!
To prepare for the procedure
- Warm half a liter of water slightly, so that it is not too hot neither too cold. It should be just as warm as your body temperature approximately.
- Add 1/2 tbsp sea salt and stir until it dissolves. Once you’ve done that, fill the pot with water.
- The salt should be in right proportion so it can help to cause osmosis to get the dirt out and it does not irritate the nasal tissues.
Once you get the apparatus ready, stand with your legs slightly apart. Bend your back at a 60-degree angle in front and tilt your head to one side. Now place the pout in the upper nostril and keep your mouth open to breathe through your mouth. Place your head in such a way that the water goes up from one nostril and comes out of the other continuously. If the water isn’t coming out or if there’s only a trickle adjust your head by tilting further until you get the smooth flow.
Continue until you finish the water in the pot. Then refill the pot once and tilt your head to the other side. Say you inserted the pout in your left nostril, so now it’s time to cleanse from right to left. Repeat it the same way.If you have time on you, you can even do the cleansing of each nostril twice. Drying of the nostril is just as important after Jal neti. In order to dry the nostril, breathe forcefully into a napkin. It is important to get all the water out, as any remnants can cause you to catch a cold.
- Neti ritual has tremendous benefits for all respiratory disorders & illness associated with your ears.
- Jal neti helps cleanse your nasal passage to get rid of any dirt, bacteria trapped in the mucus in your nasal passage. Therefore it helps to prevent an occurrence of cold, cough, tonsils.
- It helps to reduce problems such as sinusitis, migraine, headache.
- Neti also helps to prevent middle ear infections and certain types of deafness.
- It helps to improve the clarity of vision by clearing the eye duct. The eyes tend to shine more.
Cleansing helps to de-sensitize the sensitive tissue in the nasal passage that could cause rhinitis, asthma etc. Doing neti regularly helps to improve focus, concentration and gives mental clarity. It helps to stimulate the psychic center called ‘Ajna Chakra’ or our third eye. It also improves our sense of taste and smell.
With a practice, you can master the technique of Jal Neti and stay disease free for a lifetime.
Read Also – Why Isn’t It Advisable to Drink Water After Watermelon?