India is the ‘Land of Yoga’. The saints and monks of Indian origin found Yoga centuries ago.
Today, Yoga has gone beyond the boundaries of the Indian sub-continent. People all across the globe are going gaga over the numerous benefits that yoga brings to their lives.
After all, health is not hitting a figure on the weighing scale.
It is about achieving a perfect balance between the body, mind, and soul. Only when these three aspects are in sync, can a person be defined as being healthy. And Yoga is one such tool to help you gain that balance.
However, if you lack the patience to go through the ’n’ number of asanas that you are required to do, Surya Namaskar can help you to steal the deal.
So, What Is Surya Namaskar And How Does It Work?
Surya Namaskar or ‘Sun Salutation’ is a combination of 12 postures with a rhythmic flow. These positions work in conjunction with multiple organ systems of your body, such as circulation, digestion, excretory system, respiratory system, endocrine system, and your musculoskeletal system.
- Surya Namaskar is a one-stop solution for all your health problems. It helps to tone your body, improve flexibility, improve body posture, improves skin complexion, strengthen muscles, fight depression as well as a nip in your waistline.
- The 12 asanas that make one cycle of Surya Namaskar involves alternate stretching, compressing, toning and harmonizing. This helps to release any tension in the body. It also contributes to getting rid of the toxin build up in various organ systems.
- Surya Namaskar helps the body to uptake a lot of oxygen, and hence, it increases the aerobic capacity and stamina of an individual.
- The twisting and balancing posture help to strengthen your core muscles (i.e. lower back and abs) and reduce belly fat.
- The forward bending stimulates the flow of blood (and as a result supply of nutrients as well as oxygen) to the head. This helps to cure stress, depression, and also reduce hair fall.
- It helps to achieve a mind & body balance.
But, That Is Not All That Surya Namaskar Does!
Surya Namaskar cleanses and opens up your ‘solar plexus’ chakra. Solar plexus is the energy meridian in your body located around the navel. This chakra associated itself with your gut feeling and intuition. So regular practice of Surya Namaskar while paying conscious attention to every bodily movement can push your intuitive powers into full-gear.
The essence of the asanas lies in performing mindful and rhythmic breathing. It is important to be aware of your breath during each posture. Make sure you do not hold your breath.
It is preferable to do Surya Namaskar early morning. However, if you are not a morning person, doing it any other time of the day will still reap benefits.
The best part is you do not need any special equipment to do it. Neither are you confined to staying indoors? Surya-Namaskars can be done anywhere, anytime, as per your convenience. Whether you want to do it in your room or under an open sky, or basking in the golden sunshine is up to you.
Considering all these beautiful aspects of Surya Namaskar, we can rightly term it as the ‘Wholistic Asana’.