A plank is an exercise that is isometric core strengthen. It usually is done by maintaining a position that looks like push up but you need to hold it for as much time as possible. It is very effective for your entire body and especially for your cardio vascular system.
A minute of plank exercise can help you live a healthy life!
Q: Do you workout?
A: No, I don’t have TIME.
Now this is the question that I usually ask my patients and that is the answer I get from my SUPER-BUSY patients. So here I have a solution for you.
We are so busy in running behind money that we don’t understand that where are we heading to in terms of health. The body which is working for us to fetch some money, we don’t care about its maintenance!
How fair is this? Exercise with heavy intensity, less time, and quick results is what these super busy people require to be fit! Well, not to worry! The exercise has come in- Plank Exercise!
Few minutes of plank every day and guess what? You have a toned body!
For people who know about it, great! If you are doing this- you are a champ! And for the people who don’t know it…I have this piece of information for you!
Benefits of plank exercise: –
- Strengthens your core.
- Tones your body.
- Builds up stamina.
- Strengthens shoulder muscles.
- Helps in making your body firm.
Steps to do a plank and stay in the plank Exercise position: –
- Lie with your face down with forearms on the floor and hands clasped.
- Extend the legs behind the body and rise up on the toes.
- Instead of putting your weight on the toes, try putting it on your shoulders, so that you can hold there for long.
- Push your stomach inside and keep your back straight as long as you are in plank position.
- Tighten the core and hold the position for 30-60 seconds (or as long as you can hang).
- Try doing 3 sets of this plank. For best results do it every day.
Variations of plank exercise are: –
The plank mentioned above is the most basic one! There are more variations on it. But for this, it is important for you to develop a proper posture to do a plank.
Side Plank Exercise
- Turn to the side (Both sides need to be done. So the choice is yours, as to which one you want to do first), and come up on one foot and elbow.
- Make sure the hips are lifted and the core is tight.
- Hold on as much as you can. Put more weight on arms then legs.
- Since this is different from the normal one, it is even more difficult! Correct posture and everyday practice will help you!
Dynamic Prone Plank Exercise
- This is similar to normal one with little variations. The first step is to come in the normal position.
- Then raise your hip and hold in that position for few seconds.
- Come back to the normal plank position and then relax your back.
- Don’t let your hips come down. Try and hold. The more you hold, the more effective it becomes!
- This is not easy and definitely not for beginners! If you feel that you have accomplished the above positions, then you can give it a try, but with complete supervision; otherwise, there are chances that you might injure yourself.
- This is the same way how you do your normal one but in a reverse position. The only thing you need to be careful about is hips!
- This one has just a slight variation from the normal one, but the results have great variations!
- All you need to do it, get on to normal plank position. Keep your toes together. Now hold for few seconds. Then open your toes and hold there for few seconds. Keep doing jumping jacks with your legs.
- Initially, it would be very difficult but once you get used to it, try aiming for more jumps at one go!
Points to remember before doing a plank-
- Excess of anything is bad, excess of doing plank is bad too!
- Proper posture is very important; one wrong move might injure you for life. Be very cautious.
- The longer you hold, the stronger your body becomes!
- Breathe properly. People generally have a habit of stopping their breathing. This might cause you to come down from the position. The more you breathe properly, the longer you can hold yourself.
- Proper position matters first and time later.
- Be perfect!
You might not understand the actual importance of this exercise now, but trust me, these few seconds would make a big change in your life!
You might have heard this or read this somewhere: –
If you think minute goes by too fast, you have never done a plank exercise!
Well, once you do trust me, you will come know the importance of a minute!