When it comes to common health ailments like the common cold, headache, nausea, etc., there’s often nothing more effective than your kitchen and groceries to find health fixes. Mother nature provides us some genius natural home remedies to nurse yourself back to health, so stop running to the chemist and exhausting your money. Here are some basic remedies for common health ailments that we face quite often. Beware of having a look of ingredients before trying, in case you might be allergic to any of them.
Not dressed warmly enough for winter?? Being exposed to chilly weather?? These are some of the reasons people think about catching a cold. Well, it’s a myth. The common cold is a kind of viral infection caused by many types of viruses, Rhinoviruses being the most common culprit. Though it is usually harmless it spreads from person to person.
Symptoms include sore throat and runny nose, mild headaches, coughing, and sneezing, some might get a low-grade fever.
Turmeric Milk is believed to the best remedy for cold and it also enhances your immunity. Golden milk has nutrients and proteins that are beneficial for our health, Turmeric has an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effect, pepper helps in absorption of curcumin, cinnamon helps in repairing tissues and fights infection and ginger helps in proper digestion and is very effective for cold and cough.
How to prepare?
Put the cooking pan on flame. Take 2 cups of milk, add half tsp of crushed pepper, half-inch cinnamon, some grated ginger, and turmeric. Whisk and mix it properly on low flame and let it comes to a boil. After all the flavors are absorbed put one tsp of honey and it is ready to serve.
Kashaya powder drink
This powder is a combination of dry and flavored spices and the drink is served as a healing drink for common cold and sore throat. Coriander seeds contain Vitamin C, which helps in curing a cold and flu. Cumin seeds and cloves are an awesome home remedy for digestion and cold because of having anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Fennel is good for digestion and cardamom is rich in antioxidants.
How to prepare?
In a pan, take half cup coriander seeds, 1/4th cup cumin seeds, 2tsp of pepper, 1tsp of fennel seeds, 6pod cardamom, and 10 pieces of cloves. Dry roast all the spices on low flame till it turns aromatic and cool completely. Put the mix in a blender and add some turmeric powder and ginger powder. Blend it to make a fine powder. Then in a heated pan, take 2.5 cups of water and add 3tsps of Kashaya powder, 2tsps of jaggery, mix well, and boil for 5 mins. Once the flavors are absorbed put the flame off and add 1/4th cup of milk, stir well and serve hot.
This is caused by oral Microflora, which is hundreds of types of bacteria that are found naturally in our mouth. The warm and moist atmosphere of our mouth works as a perfect incubator for them to grow. Once we eat something, they start consuming the tiny food particles left in our mouth and secret a waste called volatile sulfur. These waste compounds are the real cause of bad mouth odor, medically known as Halitosis.
Cloves, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Fennel helps fight the mouth bacteria that can cause cavities.
- Have them after your meal to remove the odor. Sucking clove and having fennel seeds after a meal even helps in digestion
- Brushing your teeth and tongue scrapping twice a day is best for your oral health, especially before going t sleep at night.
- Take 1 cup of water in a pan, add some cinnamon powder, and one bay leaf. Bring it to boil. Use it as a mouth wash. Cinnamic aldehyde, an essential oil found in cinnamon helps to avoid bad breath.
This is a very common problem that we face due to an eating disorder. Bloating is a state caused by trapped gas in the stomach and intestine which causes the feeling of increased pressure in the abdomen, medically known as irritable bowel syndrome. It can also be caused by drinking carbonated beverages, menstruation in women, eating a heavy meal, constipation or wind, lack of sleep, and digestive disorder.
- Green tea and regular exercises. Green tea reduces gas accumulation and improves digestion by boosting good bacteria in the intestine. Green tea also reduces water retention by improving the urination process.
- Ginger, Fennel seeds, and cloves help in stimulating saliva, bile, and gastric juices to aid digestion. They also have anti-inflammatory properties and decrease intestinal gas.
- Drink plenty of water. Water helps us to flush and detoxify our systems od excess water and sodium we might retain and thus reduce bloating.
A dry cough is a nonproductive cough i.e. the cough that doesn’t produce phlegm or mucus. The causes might be allergy, acid reflux, or a viral infection. While there is no specific reason, the dry cough is irritable especially if it is worsening at night.
- Open 6 dates and put them in 1/2lts of milk. Boil the mix for 25mins and drink it 2-3 times a day. Dates contain Vitamins such as A1, C, B1, B3, B2, and B5. Vitamin C is an excellent antioxidant that helps to prevent infections and keep our immune strong against cold.
- Saltwater gargling is also beneficial for any kind of cough.
- Honey has anti-bacterial properties which reduce throat infection and irritation. Tulsi used to treat microbial infection and boost immunity and is considered one of the best solutions for cough & cold. So drinking Tulsi honey tea is considered to be the best remedy for dry cough. Also, add some ginger for better and fast results.
We might sometimes suffer mild stomach aches due to indigestion, after having a heavy meal, constipation, for women, menstrual cramps, etc. but before running to any medicine counter try one of these holistic home remedies.
- Since Ginger helps in improving digestion it can aid abdominal pain. Cut some fresh ginger and add it to some hot water. Let it steep for 10-15 mins, strain the liquid, and sip.
- Fennel contains anti-gas properties which are very effective while stomach ache, So you can even opt for fennel tea
- Eating a ripe banana will help those suffering from diarrhea
- Fresh mint can also soothe the discomfort caused by gas and indigestion.
It is a very common problem that we deal with daily. Reasons maybe lack of sleep, dehydration, migraines, sitting in Infront od computer screen or mobile screen for more time, etc. Try some of these following to ease your pain.
- Drink plenty of water, mostly when our body is dehydrated, we tend to have headaches.
- You can also go for a mild head massage and have a sound sleep.
- Eating an apple on an empty stomach in the morning relieves migraine pain, this must be done for a few mornings for visible results.
- Headaches caused by summer heats can be beaten by consuming watermelons.
A skin allergy is a reaction against an irritant substance. When the skin senses a foreign substance, it produces an immune response to it, which comes out as rashes, redness, or hives.
- Coconut oil is probably the oldest and safest home remedy for skin allergies and rashes. Take a few drops of Virgin coconut oil to apply it on the affected area. After about 30 mins wash it with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Tea tree oil has many medical properties to naturally treat any skin condition. The oil is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial which prevents infections. Mix 6-7 drops of tea tree oil with any carrier oil of your choice and apply it on your skin. Let it stay for at least 30-40mins before washing it off.
- Applying ground fresh Neem or Tulsi leaves can also be beneficial. Neem can also be used to treat skin allergies on the face.
When nature has the remedy for everything, why resort to medicines?