Penning down your thoughts, ideas, and goals can boost your mood and reduce mental health risks like anxiety, stress, and depression.
Journaling is not just an act of writing on a piece of paper but also a practice involving rational thinking. Every individual needs to have a healthy relationship with their mind, and one can achieve that with regular and honest writing. A journal can be your best buddy, who knows all your strengths and weaknesses. It can lower your stress levels significantly. Anxiety and depression are two daunting mental health issues that several teenagers and adults go through. It is important to address these issues and consider journaling an effective way of staying sane, even in times of distress.
4 Benefits of choosing Journalism
1. Managing Stress, Anxiety, and Depression
One can vent out their feelings through writing in a journal. It is a known fact that talking helps, but sometimes a journal can be the one you are talking to. Writing down your suppressed fears and thoughts releases the negativity in you. If you are dealing with heavy emotions, liberate them with writing. Dealing with trauma can be exhausting, try expressing what you feel about the whole incident in the journal. Sometimes even writing about the trauma helps you face the fear you have been avoiding all this long. Even grieving is a long process, one cannot find peace in their work or relationships, so find solace in journaling.
Sometimes writing can be rewarding and make changes in our lives without our acknowledgment. When you start journaling, it helps you observe your strengths and weaknesses. The self-realization compels you to make certain transformations in your lifestyle or behaviour. Maybe you have been sad for so long that it’s time to come out of it and make the most of the opportunities that come your way. Journaling can be the path to self-discovery, where you can reflect upon your character.
3. Creativity and Positive Thinking
Writing every little detail of the day in your journal will help you declutter the mind. You should remember, a mind is a place which can get messy, decluttering is important. Positivity thinking becomes a part of life when you keep your mind clear. Creativity thrives when you practice writing regularly, it provokes your mind to brew content and use it in your daily life. Journaling every day enhances your mood, boosts your sense of gratitude, and makes you more empathetic in nature. If this exercise is practiced daily, you will discover new facts about yourself, you might even find a hidden talent through this process.
4. Strengthens your Emotional Well-being
Journaling evokes mindfulness and enhances our well-being. If the mind is healthy, then physical pains also disappear and there is self-improvement overall. Writing every day regulates emotions and provides a great sense of self-confidence, unlocking happiness. Your cognitive thinking improves and helps you develop your personality further. It also keeps your memory sharp and boosts your comprehension power.
Tips to Maintain a Journal
- Write every night. Try to describe your day and reflect upon each activity that you performed today.
- Write when you are feeling low, instead of overthinking. Putting down your feelings on a piece of paper is more helpful.
- Be honest while writing. You did something wrong, write it down, you made someone happy, write it. Every little action of yours will help contemplate the way you are and make the necessary adjustments.
- Write about your dreams that you would like to achieve, set goals for yourself. This journal will always be a reminder.
- Write about happy things like your favourite memory, the most important people in your life, your role model, and your relationships.